Wednesday 5 September 2012

Theatre Review: Starlight Express



Starlight Express follows the story of a group of railway trains who come to life inside the mind of a young boy. They race to become the fastest engine in the world and it is portrayed on stage with the actors on roller-skates throughout the whole performance. With music and creatives by Andrew Lloyd Webber and choreography by Arlene Phillips it's an all-singing, all-dancing, all-skating affair for the whole family.


Just a little 'back story' for my specific performance - this show is currently touring the UK (tickets/dates of which can be purchased here) and my mum bought herself tickets a while back. I was rather jealous and so, on the day of the performance, there was a special deal at my local theatre where £39.50 tickets were going for £10 - so I obviously snapped them up!

Upon arrival I was given 3D glasses. I'd heard the show was 3D but I wasn't too sure how so waiting for that section to unfold was exciting. A screen came down with a warning to put on your glasses came on and the 3D action happens over the course of the 'races'. You get to see the 'trains' race on a 3D screen - I suppose this is to ensure that the right train wins (imagine if an actor that was supposed to win fell down!) plus there are extra bits that 'pop out' which made the audience scream and 'ooh'. 

The problem with this production touring the UK was that, as a show predominantly revolved around skating, the ramps were not as good as those that were in the London performances. Having seen the bigger stage and a ramp running around the whole of the theatre (picture below) I felt disappointed and the 'closed in' appearance of the stage I went to see. It followed the structure of two little ramps which is such a shame. With such a built up production I had the attitude of do it properly or don't do it all because I feel as though it was so much more enclosed. If it didn't stay true to the gorgeous staging of below I feel slightly as though a tour perhaps shouldn't've gone ahead. But hey ho, each to their own.


My main issue with Starlight Express was the plot. It was just very all over the place and the idea that these toys were controlled by a young boy wasn't too obvious. Some songs I didn't feel flowed into each other - it dipped in and out from humerous to slow to being cut off and back onto a high end. It was very chaotic and a big mish mash. I overheard someone comment on something similar as we were walking out. At times it just felt very, very 'weird'. 

Having said that the singing, dancing, stamina and energy of the performers cannot be faulted at all. It had a high impact but I think it's very 'Andrew Lloyd Webber' in the sense that you can tell it's him by his somewhat strange imaginative creation but I feel sometimes his plots are very hit or miss. This is a good show and it's worth watching, despite how I may make it sound, but I'd definitely say to catch it on a bigger stage as I think the staging would be more beneficial. 

Hell, if I could do that on skates I'd want to show it off in staging as beautiful as the London show!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment on how you feel about my post or whether you've had a similar experience/product. Thank-you so much for your feedback x